Thursday, March 7, 2024

Enough is Enough!

I am so over the fact that women cannot run without fear.  I am so beyond mad that when I go out and run, I have to be on constant guard.  I am angry that I often choose to run on my treadmill because I'm not in the mood to deal with jerks and possible assaulters and killers. Why do I have to forgo what I love (running outside) because a terrible person can't properly live in society??

When I awoke yesterday morning, I felt the need and desire to get outside in fresh air and hit the pavement.  I mentally prepared my course so that I would be in areas where cars and people are.  I felt a tad fearful, but, honestly, I am so tired of living scared.  I no longer want to be held back by someone else's choices.  


Two of my children were at our home and before I left, I texted them my exact route and time I would be gone.  I placed my Air Pods in and chose what I would listen to as I ran. I was conscience about making sure my podcast was low enough that I could easily hear my surroundings.  I am not one to get lost in what I am listening to, as I am constantly monitoring my surroundings to make certain I am safe.

My route was to take me around a set of neighborhoods.  It's almost as if I was going to run the shape of a box to get back to my home.  The route has nice sidewalks that are wide enough and visible to anyone driving by.  I liked this because no one could be hiding in the trees without being seen.



I set off for my run and fell quickly into my groove.  I felt nice and safe because many cars were driving by.  I was finally starting to settle in and feeling safe.  I could tell this was the case because my breathing was even and my shoulders were nice and relaxed.

As I turned onto the next street, I heard a truck honk.  I immediately turned and looked.  It was a large white truck and as it drove by, the driver stared at me like I was his candy.  Gross, I thought!  However, there were other cars around so I didn't feel alarmed.  I did feel very annoyed, though.  Why do some men think it's okay to do this to women?!

I continued to run, albeit less relaxed. About 5-7 minutes later, a black truck pulled up next to me and was driving very slowly.  The passenger turned and was hanging halfway out the passenger side window.  He was whistling and saying raunchy things.  I immediately scanned the area and there were no cars in sight.  There was a golf course to my right and not a golfer was on the green.  I felt fear overtake me.  Tears began to fill my eyes and then, in an instant, I was filled with anger and rage.  I raised my right arm in the air and shot the finger at them. I then threw both hands in the air and screamed as loudly as I could.  This must have startled the men because they sped off.  

There was a side street up ahead and I feared they would be parked on it and grab me as I ran by.  I contemplated calling my son to come pick me up.  I chose not to because I'm just so stinkin' tired of women going through this.  Thankfully, cars, once again, began driving by in both directions.

I continued on my run with a force of anger so strong.  I am angry that I can't run without this happening.  I am filled with rage at the thought of women being assaulted, kidnapped, and murdered just because some insane being thinks it's his right.

Leave us the hell alone! I am on a mission to bring awareness to this. Enough is enough!  Women should be afforded our right to go into the world and run safely and without incident.  We shouldn't have to choose a treadmill because we are scared for our lives. Our families shouldn't have to worry every time we leave for a run. My children have asked me not to run outside anymore because they are so afraid someone will harm, or worse yet, kill their mama.  

To bring awareness to this epidemic, I will be writing a post each week to honor a woman who has lost her life while innocently out running.  My goal is to bring awareness to what women face each time they step out of the door with laced up shoes and a heart ready to get some milage in.  Within time, I may turn it into a podcast.

I also have an idea of a product that will help protect women and allow them to get help quickly. I am researching how to approach companies and get their backing. I am talking with an attorney on the best way to get this accomplished.

Please stay vigilant while running. Let others know your routes and estimated time you will return home.  Carry mace and keep your music low.

Lastly, please don't think it won't ever happen to you. I am a 52 year old woman. Deranged men don't care your age, stature, weight, busyness of the route you are on, etc.  

Love to you all and happy AND safe running!
💗,
Marci