Sunday, January 21, 2024

If You Want To Run, Run Girl!


photo from r4ucoaching on Instagram

As I entered my 20's, I envied those who ran.  The Houston Marathon always ignited my coveters heart, but I thought there was no way I could ever run.  I thought only those deemed athletic could hit the pavement. Those who ran never got winded or tired, or so my young brain believed. 

I wrongly believed that runners ran fast always, ran without breathing hard, and had rock solid bodies with no wiggles anywhere.

Gracious, was I wrong!!  And thank goodness I was!  

Like Forest Gump, and I'm not even fudging, I just began running one day. It was a January evening in 2012.

I remember smiling as I ran. I felt so free and alive.  I had never felt that energy before!  During that first run, I fell into my own steps and pace.  I didn't care what pace or milage others ran.  My runs were about me and my body.  

I truly fell in love with it and quickly signed up for an upcoming half marathon.  I drove to a running store and got fitted for a pair of good running shoes.  I ran every chance I got.  

I don't remember the runs being about the look of my body at all.  I just remember the freedom each run gave me.  Honestly, I was proud of myself.  I was doing something I never thought I could do.  I dared to quietly call myself a runner and it felt amazing!

On the day of the half marathon, I cried as I quietly drove to the race.  My family was meeting me there so I had time to reflect upon my efforts, my mindset, and my heart.  I was proud of my strength and endurance.  I was in awe that I was about to run a half marathon.

I was nothing special, no better than anyone else.  I was just a girl with a dream.  A girl who had fallen head over heels in mad love with lacing up my running shoes and hitting the pavement.


Many people have said the following to me and it hurts my heart... 
I'm not a runner (meaning the person speaking feels they can't be a runner)
Anyone with a dream, can be a runner.

How to become a runner in 2 easy steps:
1. Go outside and put one foot in front of the other.
2. Believe in yourself.

That's it!  When you shut down the negative self talk and believe in yourself, you can truly do it.  No one begins running by running 5 miles, 3 miles, or even 1 mile.  We all start by putting one foot in front of the other.  Start slowly and alternate walking with running.  

Everyday offers progress.  See the growth with each step, with each breath, and with each smile.  Notice as it becomes easier and you are able to run farther.  It is a high like no other.

Running myths:
1. You have to be fast
2. You have to run daily
3. Every single run has to be a good one
4. There is a particular runner's body (SO WRONG!!!!)
5. You have to run a particular milage to be considered a runner
6. You have to sign up and run races


The morale of this whole thing is don't let negative world talk or self talk stop you from following your dream.  I am a 51 year old girl who laced up some shoes and took a chance on running.  There has not been a single day that I am sorry I took that first step.  There have been days, however, that I clearly and hurtfully regret not starting sooner.  I let the lies in my head hold me back.  

Let today be the day you take the first step.  You've got this.

If you would like someone to cheer you on and help you, please let me know.  My cheerleading is free.  I am not trying to gain anything for my bank account.  I'm just a girl who desires to help other girls find the thrills of running.  If you are in the Houston area, I will even meet up with you and offer a running partner.







Running joyfully,
Marci