Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Muck is yuck



Our garbage disposal has been broken for quite a while.

 {Ok-I found out on Saturday that it wasn't really broken, it had just shorted out.} 

Because of the so called broken disposal, water backed up in our kitchen sink every time I ran the dishwasher.  I would have to sit in the kitchen for the hour the dishwasher ran and periodically scoop rising water out of the sink so it wouldn't overflow onto the cabinets and run down to the floor.

I became so used to the task that I didn't even mind.  I ran the dishwasher while I read through blogs, wrote, or read a book. 

On Saturday, we had a new sink, faucet, and disposal installed.  Yes...this girl did a happy dance!!  My step brother is a plumber and he kindly drove an hour and a half to install it all for us.  My dad joined him and we drank coffee and chatted.  Who knew that having a plumber over could be so fun!?

{My step brother is the one who showed me that our disposal really wasn't broken, just shorted out.  He showed us how to fix it if it happens to the new one.  If you ever need help starting a disposal again, I'm your girl!!  I now know you have to do more than push the red button on the bottom of the disposal. :)...}

Prior to the old disposal being removed, my dad stuck his hand down the drain.  When he pulled it out, it was covered in nasty muck.  Ugh!  It was nasty...and he told me so! :)

I began thinking of Psalm 40:2-3....

 Psalm 40:2-3:
{2} He brought me up from a desolate pit, out of the muddy clay, and set my feet on a rock, making my steps secure.  {3} He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.
 
 
Our lives can be so full of muck.  Our hearts can be filled with things that weigh it down and cause it to be unclean.  This muck can cause us to feel unworthy and unlovable.  It can cause us to be full of guilt and anxiety. 
 
Just like I was used to sitting in my kitchen and scooping water, we can become used to the muck that fills our lives and makes us feel yucky.  We begin to think our muck is normal.  We become immune to the weight on our shoulders and just try to get through a day.
 
Thankfully, God can clean out our muck and renew our hearts.  ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS ASK HIM AND THEN TRUST HIM. 
 
Psalm 40:3 promises that He will put a new song in our mouths and people will see our changed lives and trust the Lord.  What a wonderful declaration!!  Our old muck and new lives will cause others to trust in God. 
 
Who else but a Mighty and Wonderful God could, and would, use nasty lives restored to cause others to trust and love Him??  God takes all the dirty, grimy, nasty muck from our lives and fills us with beauty and peace.  And the good news is, He doesn't just do this once.  If we find that we are drowning in muck yet again, He lovingly washes us clean.
 
Do you feel weighed down by grimy muck?  Is your heart heavy with anxiety, fear, insecurities, pride, sinful behavior, lack of trust, etc.??  You don't have to live with it any longer.  Call out to God and tell Him you are ready for change.  Ask Him to cleanse you and show you a new way.  Once you do, breathe in the peace and trust that He has cleansed you and made you new.
 
Be free, sweet friends and enjoy your clean heart. <3 div="" style="text-align: left;">xoxo