Thursday, January 24, 2013

Be careful little eyes what you see...

(I found this on Google Images)

My husband and I try and teach our children the ways of the Lord.  We talk about Jesus and try and model behaviors that He instructs His children to do.  Often, we are very much in the minority, but we stick to our guns because we know at the end of the day, it is Jesus that matters.  People have told us that we need to relax our ways a bit so our children will fit in and not feel left out.  We want our children to stick out for Christ!  We NEVER want to go against Christ so our children will fit in with the world.  

Our diligence in Christ is certainly beneficial for our children.  They do not feel they have to have a significant other to be worthy.  They are secure in their worth in Christ.  They are not worried about fitting in or going along with the crowd.  We have had teachers and adults tell us what leaders our children are and how polite and respectful they are.

Our oldest son will leave for college in a year and a half.  He is already looking forward to joining a Christian fraternity.  He knows he must surround himself with believers in Christ and those who want to further God's kingdom.

I tell you all of this not because we are perfect.  We are anything but perfect!  We mess up and ask for forgiveness often.  I tell you this because I am heartbroken and a tad angry at what my children have been telling me lately.

Did you know that the movie Pitch Perfect is the rage among children and teens??  

I will be honest, I haven't seen the movie.  I haven't had the desire.  Here is a portion of what I found on www.pluggedin.com....

These a cappella competitions aren't just about singing. There're also about dancing, with some of the moves falling into the bawdy/suggestive category. One oversexed Bella is particularly fond of running her hands over her breasts and toward her crotch, but she's far from the only one guilty of suggestively touching or gesturing to certain areas of their bodies. Amy, during one dance number, rips open her shirt to reveal the undergarment beneath.

Lyrics, too, can stray—particularly during one "riff-off" where contestants are asked to sing songs explicitly about sex. The tunes range from Foreigner's "It Feels Like the First Time" to Rihanna's "S&M," which includes the lyrics, "Sticks and stones may break my bones/But chains and whips excite me."

Beca is solicited for the group while taking a shower. We see shoulders and backs; we hear discussion about covering "junk." Leader Aubrey initially hopes to sign on "super-hot girls in bikini-ready bodies." A woman's nipples (comedically enlarged) are visible under her shirt. We see girls in bikinis and guys in Speedo-style shorts.

One of the Bellas is a stereotypical lesbian who sometimes ogles or inappropriately touches her fellow singers. Another singer is known for her promiscuity. And much is made of Beca being visibly attracted to a guy in a rival group. Three of the girls are kicked out for sleeping with them.

Many more references are made to either having sex and not having sex. We hear about herpes, body parts, confused sexuality and "sluts." Beca is given a rape whistle when she arrives on campus. "Don't blow it unless it's actually happening," she's told. A girl's breasts are (lightly) punched. A female announcer says of an all-female a cappella group, "Those girls could turn me."



Why on earth would a parent think this is ok and appropriate to show a child???
I am heartbroken  because children are gifts from God.  We are to raise them with a respect for their Creator.  We are to raise them to honor Him in ALL they do.  They look to their parents for guidance, love, and support.  Do these parents not realize this is harmful for their children spiritually, emotionally, and even physically.
Letting children watch movies like this desensitizes them to so many things.  They are likely to see these behaviors as "cool" and the things to do.  
Here's my question.....Are some parents so concerned about their children fitting into the world that they would compromise their children's well being??  Are they doing these things so they will be the "cool parents"?  It's not cool to hand our children over to the world!

Here is a movie I highly recommend for OLDER teenagers and parents...
This movie will teach parents the dangers of wanting our children to fit into society.  It will teach older teens the importance of walking with Jesus.  They will see the side effects of choosing the world's ways over Jesus.

Let's stand up for our children and Jesus.  Let's show our children strength in God and teach them to follow His ways in ALL they do.

12 comments:

  1. I am often shocked at what my children's friends are watching and reading. My oldest is ten and in the fourth grade. Some of her friends are very into Twilight. This is not acceptable to us. My girls have been ridiculed for not being able to watch or listen to certain things. It hurts. I can't imagine what it will be like as they become teenagers. I must keep praying, for my own children and for their friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be encouraged as you continue raising your children in the faith. God bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen that movie and really didn't know what it was about although a couple of Facebook posts describing the movie as "good" surprise me now. Sounds a lot like the show Glee which we gave up early on because of these same issues...making teen sexuality, etc appear healthy and normal. I don't want these influences of the world on my boys tempting them and making these choices appear good and normal. I am trying to influence my soon to be pre-teen niece and am proud that she loves the book series Mandie that I gave her for Christmas. Her and her friends are acting out the stories as characters so I hope I am starting a new fad for these girls that teaches Christian principles. We must offer our children good options to counter the worldly options before them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marci-
    What a beautiful reminder!! It is rare to find parents that are standing up for Christ and teaching their children to do the same. How proud you must be to hear others noiticing that in your kids!

    What christian fraternity is he thinking about? Avery was in BCA at A&M and loved it. He made really great friends and has some of the greatest memories from that organization!

    Love ya sweet lady :)
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pastor made a comment the other day that I think can be applied not just to a church, but to anyone who has Christ at the center of their lives. He said "People will say they thought our church wasn't political. We're not. But where politics clash with theology, we proceed accordingly without apology." I think the same can be said not just for politics, but for parenting in this world and society. Keep on keepin' on! Your children will be so thankful, and you can rest assured that God himself will one day thank you for being a good and faithful servant. :)

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no clue pitch perfect was like that. Not that it is a type of movie I would be wanting to see anyway but wow, yeah now I definitely have no desire. What also gets me lately are the commercials on TV. No matter what channel we are on, they seem to have the commercial about the vaginal mesh implant gone wrong. Um do any of us really need to hear about that? That is definitely not the worst commercial, just the one that sprung to the front of my mind. Some times I just want to put my family in a bubble and keep them away from all of this media infuence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey lady! I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! You can accept it Here: http://christinamarieharris.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award-o.html

    Cheers to you for your posts and prayers and here's hoping that you get more followers!

    Hugs! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome, God bless you for raising your children up in the ways of the Lord. You really are rare. I don't have children myself, but I have sisters, one brother(teen), and nephews and nieces. Parents play a very huge role. I try to play the parent role sometimes, but ultimately the discipline should come from the parents. I continue to pray for your strength in the Lord and I will pray for your son as he ventures off into college, like he said it's so important to hang around Christian friends who won't compromise their faith. Bless you and your family!! :)
    http://shaniquasnowden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Media and its ups and downs... Thank God for His grace and Spirit to guide us and help us raise our children right before Him in this crazy world. I trust God that you son will not depart from the ways of the Lord that you have trained Him.
    Well done Marci and congratulations for your college student!
    Have a super blessed day!
    love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw bits and pieces of the movie when my classmates at cosmetology school were watching it, and there's definitely nothing to be impressed about it! Personally, I'm not the biggest stickler for movies hiding everything impure--because sometimes, that's what real life is like, and some stories are all the more poignant because lives are imperfect. But when disgusting things are just added for comedy or shock factor--that's what saddens and disgusts me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you and your husband! It is NOT easy to go against the tide....whether you are a child or an adult. We are raising a generation of kids who are so messed up that I praise God for parents like you who are raising their children in Godly homes. These kids will have a big job as adults when their unhappy peers begin searching for truth. Your kids will know the TRUTH and be able to minister to a hurting world.....just like we need to be doing now. Keep making the hard choices! It will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes my heart so happy to read what you're doing for your children in helping them to grow up and in the Lord. They are so blessed to have you both for their parents!

    ReplyDelete

I love connecting with you all through comments. Your words bring my heart joy.