Thursday, October 25, 2012

31 days of love...day 25 (Living for Christ)



 True love means putting aside our selfish desires and giving completely to the one we love. At times, this can be difficult, especially if we are faced with giving up something that we have come to enjoy.  For instance, Luke, my 4th grader, has informed me that I am no longer able to bring him lunch.  He is a third child, and, therefore, sees himself as much older than nine.  I'm not ready to give up seeing him at lunch, even if it's just to hand him a Chick-Fil-A bag and tell him to enjoy.  I will respect what he has asked of me, however,  because I love him in a way that causes butterflies to swarm my belly when I see his cute blond head bouncing off of the bus each afternoon. 

As followers of Christ, we are commanded to die to ourselves and follow Him.  We are to give up things in our lives that do not honor Him.  The Bible tells us that EVERYTHING we do must honor Him.  As hard as it may be, we must decide what we love more, Jesus or the thing(s) we are holding onto.  If we have to make excuses or justifications for things, then our hearts know it is time to let go. The way I explain it to my children is this:  If Jesus were to physically walk into a room and see what was on the TV or hear the music, would you be ashamed or would you be excited to share it with Him?  The same is true for all of us.  Will we die to self and follow everything Christ has asked of us, or will we hang onto those things that bring us carnal pleasure? 





  Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Wow...what a good message.

    It is a good question...am I honoring Him in what I am doing?

    Thanks.
    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is such a sticky subject, but one that needs to be talked about.

      Delete
  2. Marci, you rock! I just love, love, love reading your blog each day!! What a great start to my morning :)

    This is such a struggle for me. I find myself wanting to make room for Jesus AND... on the throne of my heart, but it just doesn't work out well that way. God should be the only one that has the throne! Recently, on a podcast, my pastor asked if we were spending more time on our physical bodies than our spiritual soul. OUCH! And, as if God really wanted to turn the knife, he repeated the same question 3 times in the sermon.

    I know I constantly have to stop and check my motives. Am I dying to self and allowing Christ to reign, or am I stiffling the Holy Spirit so my own selfishness can reign.

    Hehe, we all go through the teenage stage where we know everything, and then we grow up and realize just how little we know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great entry Marci! it is hard indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing verse! You dont know how greatly it spoke into my life today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it spoke to you. I love when God speaks to us and it causes reflection. :-) xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi again,

    I would be pleased if you would join in on my Friday"s Photo File ~ share any photo. Linkup begins tomorrow morning at 1:00 a.m.
    I hope to see you there!

    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see you there! Thanks for the invite! :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Marci,

    Thanks for for visiting my blog, i'm now following you. I love your background, its so fun!
    My heart sank for a moment when I read your little boy didn't want you to bring him lunch anymore (my son is 8 and I wonder when he will make this shift) but your words about dying to self and following Jesus are right on. Thank you for sharing.
    Look forward to connecting and keeping up to date with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart sank too. :-(. Can't they love our cuddles and climb in our laps forever!?
      Xoxo

      Delete

I love connecting with you all through comments. Your words bring my heart joy.