Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 days of love...day 4


 
This portion of Scripture brings a smile to faces.  It is often read at weddings and serves to teach us how to love.  It sounds so great, doesn't it?  I love that is speaks of being kind and not being rude.  I appreciate that it tells me that love is not easily angered and it keeps no record.  Ahh, the blissfulness of it.

But wait!  When I feel shafted do I remember this portion of Scripture?  My honest answer is no.  You know what I think of?

Me.

God did not place this in the Bible so we would feel good when we read it.  It wasn't to take up space during a wedding ceremony.  He purposely placed it in the Bible so we could see what love is and isn't.  Love is about other people, not just us.  As I truly look at this Scripture, I am overwhelmed with the love Jesus has for me.  He is not rude, easily angered, and He doesn't keep a record of my wrongs.  If He, my perfect Savior, loves me in this way, shouldn't I love this way to?

It is so easy to love this way when we feel the love reciprocated.  However, it is not so easy when we feel wronged.  Let's commit to our sweet Jesus to love the way He does, even when we don't feel like it.