Saturday, October 13, 2012

31 days of love...day 13


I have a friend whose 10 month old grandbaby received a Berlin heart today.  For those of you who aren't familiar with a Berlin heart, it is basically a mechanical heart.  The Berlin heart is used until a person can receive a donor heart.  Please pray for this sweet child and his family.  He is a tough cookie!

The pain, fear, and anxiety a parent feels when a child is sick is gut wrenching.  I am certain, without a doubt, that Jesus is carrying this family and giving them the strength necessary. When we think upon this, it would be impossible to even breath without Jesus.  

I know a bit about the strength that Jesus gives freely to His beloved children.  While I don't even compare my story to what my friend is going through, love is love.  When your child is beyond sick, regardless of the extent, your heart breaks like you have never felt before.  When Jorden was 2 months old, we were told he had a heart condition.  It turned out to be quite severe.  He had surgery when he was 6 months old and again when he was 4 1/2.  He was in the beginning of congestive heart failure before his first surgery.  His heart was enlarged and he was only 12 pounds.  That is only 5 pounds heavier than his birth weight.  My daughter was only 3 months old when he had his second surgery.

I reflect back on those times often.  If I am left to really think about it, I will still cry.  Everything my child had to endure pains me  greatly.  I have thought about it more often lately because of what my friend is going through.  People have asked me how on earth I had the strength to go through that.  I believe with all of my heart that Jesus carried me through it.  He gave me the strengh I would need do what needed to be done.  If you were to ask me if I was a strong person, I would tell you no.  There is no possible way I could have gotten through that time on my strengh.  Jesus loves us so much that He never requires us to do anything on our strength.  However, we can do all things with the strength given to us freely by our sweet Savior.  He will never expect us to handle anything without Him.  My pastor said something that I  love.  He said that the saying 'God never gives us more than we can handle' is a myth.  God gives us way more than we can handle so that we will rely on Him and His glory will shine. 

God offers us strength because He loves us.  We really can do ALL things when we rely on Him and accept His strength.    If  you are experiencing something in your life that you feel too weak to handle, know that God will give you exactly what you need.  Lean on Him and let Him carry you with His strength.